Thursday, June 6, 2019

Sidetrack Number One

My name is Estelle de la Mer, and I am a herald.

<all chorus> Hiiii, Estelle....

Thank you for coming to the very first post on my blog about the art and service of heraldry in the SCA. This blog is going to be Midrealm centered, because I live in the Midrealm and always have. Sometimes, we do some goofy things in the Midrealm. You've been warned!

But wait! This is a blog about Heraldry in the SCA! Why a scarab?

Circle 'round, my little heralds, and let me tell you a story of how I got the badge of a scarab, or as I prefer to call it, my dung beetle.


A long time ago, before I was a leafy Laurel, I was joking about what it was like to be on the Path to Peerage, and we were comparing it to different things, animal, vegetable, and mineral. Someone brought up the old canard about it being like a mushroom, when lightning struck me! It was like being a dung beetle. And the Dung Beetle Theory came to life.

The Dung Beetle Theory of becoming a Peer:

First, you gotta find your shit.

Roll around in that shit a while, make sure it's the shit you want to bring home.

Then, you get your shit together.

You gather it up, make it nice and rounded, polish that shit up so that it shines.

Then, you gotta bring your shit home.

So you spend your time, rolling that shit along.  But because you're a dung beetle, you gotta roll it backwards, which means that you really have no clue where you're really headed... but eventually, after a long while, and with a little luck, you get that shit right where it needs to be.

And that's how you become a Peer.

The End.
Needless to say, a great many people found some humor in this, and it kind of stuck. I decided that I needed to have a dung beetle as my badge, to remind me of the funny story.

After I became a Laurel, it became my badge that I gave to my students, to remind them that their job is to get their shit together! They each get a polished piece of copralite as their token of our relationship.

And now you know the story of the Dung Beetle, and how I got one of my heraldic badges!