Sunday, June 9, 2019

Rounding it out

(Here continues the tale of my Field Herald's Manual. This is part [1, 2, 3] four of the story....)

Scope creep had claimed my project for good. After several people reacted very enthusiastically to the idea of a little field manual, I decided that maybe I'd make up a thorough one and use that as a way to ensure that our Kingdom heralds were better prepared.

I started hitting thrift stores in earnest. If I was going to deliver these into the hands of heralds, I wanted to make sure there were as few barriers to using them as possible, and that meant making sure that the first few books were handed out ready to use. I needed to get cheap binders to put the book in for when I gave them out.

As I slowly accumulated covers, I worked on rounding out the contents of my book. I added a checklist for Pre-Court meetings, so that an inexperienced herald would have a guideline of things to ask the Crown. I added a similar list for meeting with a vigilant. I've got a planned blog post about those, do not fear, my friends!

It's a good idea to ask the vigilant what accoutrements they have for their ceremony.

One of the decisions I made on the contents of my book was to include the Crown Tourney ceremony. In the Midrealm, unlike in several other kingdoms, our heralds stand on the OUTSIDE of the Crown pair, usually on the Sovereign's side. This leaves the Sovereign Consort without their own herald! During Crown Tourney, the Consort has lines, but no herald of their own to hold a book with their script. I decided that this was a good opportunity for this book. It was already easier to carry than the standard format book, because it's half-size, making it easier to take to an event. Maybe being prepared for any ceremony that the Midrealm has would let newer heralds feel more comfortable joining the dais crew for this really formal and awesome occasion! After all, we are all more confident when we are comfortable and using our own materials, right?

I added the Crown Tourney script, but while I was typesetting it I realized.... it's FULL of gendered language.

(to be continued...)